So, I start with the end; in this case a finished object.
Bright Charcoal socks ready to wear
Quite a small one, but one pair of socks completed and ready to wear. The Colinette Jitterbug has, as usual, knitted up nicely into thick, springy socks. I love the colourway which I think is like chalk markings on a blackboard. Or, thus it is for one and a half socks, because my skein of yarn had a join just under half the way in and the two ends did not entirely match.
When I wound the skein into a ball, of course, I found the knot and decided at that point to make two separate balls. I knit the first sock out of the slightly larger ball which was the second half of the skein, and the colours were nice and even throughout. When I came to knit the second sock I started on the slightly smaller ball, which was the first half of the skein, and it was immediately apparent that there was a lot less colour in this part.
There are less colours on this part
At that point, I unpicked and rewound the ball to try working from the other end, but with the same result. The fabric was more substantially grey than on the first sock.
However, I still had enough of the first ball left to knit down the leg of the sock, and joined in the second ball to work the heel and foot, reasoning that since that will be mainly within my shoe it won’t matter too much. The difference can be seen comparing the soles of the socks. It certainly seems like some colours are missing, leaving long stretches of greys broken with the pale creamy white.
Our soles – shows the difference between the two parts of the skein
I think I was unlucky to get a skein with a bit of a flaw to it, but these things happen and I am happy with the finished socks. Most importantly, the quality of the wool is the same throughout, just the dyeing was a bit off.
I decided to make some firm plans for my knitting over the next few months. I do this every so often when I need or want to be more productive and I certainly find it helps to set myself targets.
For the current month, I have set myself the target of knitting one pair of socks (done) and completing the grey Rimini cardigan. I feel at the current point that this is achievable, but certainly not easy. I have three weeks and almost a complete side of the front, two sleeves, button bands and collar to knit, plus the time for piecing it together. Knowing how bogged down I can get with sleeves, I wonder if I have given myself too much to do, especially as I’m back at work from tomorrow so my productivity is likely to take a nosedive.
However, I am aware that I will let things drift if I don’t give myself some target to aim at – I experienced this with the Laccaria cardigan which lingered on the needles for what seemed like forever.
In the longer term, I am going to try and knit one pair of socks a month for the next few months. I can churn out the simple, plain socks that I like fairly speedily. I am aware that since I wear my hand knitted socks every day, there are likely to be several that bite the dust at the same time, and therefore I need to be prepared well in advance with some new ones to include in the rotation. I’m keen on this plan because I intend to use up some of the wool I’ve got stashed for garments over the next few months and this will be much easier if I can treat myself to a skein of sock yarn each month to keep things feeling fresh.
Speaking of feeling fresh, if I intend to feel that way in the morning I’d better get myself off to bed.
Hope your knitting, or chosen field of endeavour, has gone well this Bank Holiday weekend.